Edgeville Buzz


Be The First To Know

Care For Real Toy Drive To Benefit 1,000 Edgewater Children In Need, Here’s How To Donate

toy2Once again this year, the Holidays in Edgewater do not mean every child will be able to unwrap a present on Christmas morning. It is sometimes difficult to remember that many of our fellow residents live well below the poverty level including local kids.

Care For Real, Edgewater’s area resource center for those in need, will be collecting donated toys and distributing the items to local children who may not be expecting presents this year. With the support of the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce, toys and gifts can currently be dropped off at four Andersonville locations, each offering a special gift in exchange for any donation.

According to the Chamber, last year Care for Real distributed more than 4,500 toys to almost 1,000 children, helping 400 families have a more joyous holiday season. 65% of the children were under the age of 12, and the other 35% were 13 to 17 years old.

The Chamber will also be celebrating Late Night Andersonville tonight, and Late-er Night Andersonville December 16. Andersonville stores and restaurants will stay open until 10 p.m. and offer discounts on gifts as well as free refreshments and entertainment. One of the area drop-off locations, Toys Et Cetera (5311 N. Clark) will not only be offering 10% off tonight, but will also donate a new toy for each item that you purchase and leave for the drive.

TOY DROP-OFF LOCATIONS                                                  

• The Coffee Studio5628 N. Clark – drop off a gift or toy, and get a free gingerbread cookie!

• Foursided Holiday Shop5059 N. Clark – drop off a gift or toy, and get a free vintage jewel brite ornament!

• George’s Ice Cream & Sweets5306 N. Clark – drop off a gift or toy, and get a free scoop of ice cream!

• Toys Et Cetera, 5311 N. Clark – double your gift by purchasing your donated toy at Toys Et Cetera!

WHAT IS NEEDED?

• For teens – Gift cards and gift certificates, games, jewelry & accessories, video games, backpacks, movies, music, make-up, movie passes, tickets to events (theater, sports, concerts).

• For children – Board games, matchbox cars, videos, video games, movies, backpacks, Legos, puzzles, paint sets, anything hobby, craft and arts related.

• Stocking Stuffers – Gloves, mittens, caps and hats, scarves and personal care items (shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, body wash, soap, etc.)

All locations will be collecting toys and gifts through Friday, December 16. Toys may also be dropped off at the 48th Ward office at 5533 N. Broadway during their regular business hours. Gifts should be new and unwrapped to allow parents to choose the most appropriate gifts for their children.

For more info on the Toy Drive, visit Andersonville.org


We invite you to comment as Edgeville Buzz's GUEST. We review all submissions before they go live on our site. We encourage civil dialogue. Posts must adhere to our comment policy and we reserve the right to delete posts/ban users for instances of inappropriate language, bullying speech, character defamation, spam, etc.