Edgeville Buzz

CPD Sergeant Involved In Brutal Fight Outside Andersonville Gay Bar Resigns

Sgt. Eric Elkins

A Chicago Police Sergeant that has been with the the force for almost 2o years has resigned from his position as an investigation escalates into a brutal fight outside an Andersonville Gay bar that sent two men to the hospital with severe injuries.

The incident occurred outside Atmosphere at 5355 N Clark on September 29, 2018 after the the two victims, John Sherwood and his partner Tom Stacha, got into a verbal confrontation with a group Sgt. Eric Elkins was with. According to the victims attorney, the men decided to leave the bar and that is when they were followed out by Elkins and his friends.

After exiting the bar, the two men found themselves attacked within seconds. They both sustained serious injuries, Sherwood with a compound fracture to his leg and Stacha with broken cheekbones and a perforated trachea. Witnesses reported that the suspects fled the scene in two different directions. However, two of Elkins’ friends were apprehended just a few blocks away on Balmoral.

Those two friends were positively identified by a bartender from the bar and later implicated Elkins as the one who attacked the men. The victims are currently suing Elkins with a personal injury lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court. Their attorney, Timothy Cavanagh accused the Chicago Police Department of protecting their own.

It was reported yesterday by the Chicago Tribune that Elkins, who was currently earning a $104,000 salary on paid desk duty officially resigned while under investigation. That means Elkins will not be eligible for retired police credentials and possibly not qualify for a full pension.

Elkins has been at his desk job for years now due to another incident in which he is accused of fondling four teenage boys while intoxicated at a 2015 fourth of July picnic in Michigan. One of those boys went to police accusing Elkins of touching his genitals. He was booked two weeks later at Ogemaw County Jail for criminal sexual conduct involving a minor and released on bond. He pleaded guilty to reduced charges of assault and battery and disorderly conduct in 2016 and received a one year probation as well as a $1200 fine.

In 2003, Elkins also faced serious charges after having a sexual relationship with 16-year old male student he met at Amundsen High School where he moonlighted as a security guard. Elkins was indicted by a grand jury and taken off the force. However, In a bench trial Cook County Judge Kenneth Wadas acquitted Elkins of all accounts saying the teen did not have good recollection of the sexual abuse and no physical evidence to back up the claim.

In addition, Elkins has received 35 citizen complaints through his time with the force but was never faced discipline. Those complaints included serious charges including illegal searches, neglect of duty, profanity, theft and sexual harassment.


We invite you to comment as Edgeville Buzz's GUEST. We review all submissions before they go live on our site. We encourage civil dialogue. Posts must adhere to our comment policy and we reserve the right to delete posts/ban users for instances of inappropriate language, bullying speech, character defamation, spam, etc.