Edgeville Buzz

A 14-Year-Old Charged With This Week’s Argyle Red Line Station Shooting


The teen went before Judge Linda Pauel on Friday and was released to a parent without electronic monitoring and ordered to come back on Monday. This was against the wishes of the Cook County state’s attorney’s office.

 Last night Chicago Police announced that they have charged one of two suspects that were placed into custody Wednesday in connection with the shooting that occurred on the Argyle red line station platform this week.

A 14-year-old was officially charged with a felony count of attempted murder and a felony count of aggravated battery/discharging of a firearm. He is expected in court today. The suspects were arrested shortly after authorities released surveillance video stills of the offenders in order to seek the public’s help with identification.

The shooting incident happened at 4 p.m. on Monday just before rush hour train traffic. The suspects targeted two other men on the station’s platform. A 34-year-old male sustained gunshot wounds to his back, abdomen, buttocks and groin and is listed in critical condition. The other person, a 41-year-old male, received a graze wound but declined medical treatment.

“The age of the offender in the Argyle incident makes clear the need for more opportunities for young people, to provide alternative options to gang involvement,” said Alderman Harry Osterman in an emailed statement today. “This week’s incidents highlight that there is still a lot of work to be done, and I am evaluating ways to enhance and expand safety efforts for all in our community. The Chicago Police Department continues to investigate this shooting and other recent shootings in our community, and a heavy police presence remains in the Argyle and Thorndale areas.”


The teen went before Judge Linda Pauel on Friday charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery with a gun. He was released without electronic monitoring to a parent against the wishes of the Cook County state’s attorney’s office.

Though prosecutors wanted him to remain under custody, the judge said that the law would not allow that because he was already in custody for 42 hours and was not brought before a judicial office within 24 hours. He must return to court at 9 a.m. on Monday.


We invite you to comment as Edgeville Buzz's GUEST. We review all submissions before they go live on our site. We encourage civil dialogue. Posts must adhere to our comment policy and we reserve the right to delete posts/ban users for instances of inappropriate language, bullying speech, character defamation, spam, etc.