Edgeville Buzz


Be The First To Know

Berger Park listed in National Register of Historic Places

From the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency:
Berger Park at 6205 – 6247 N. Sheridan Road in Chicago was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 12, 2010 by the National Park Service.

Berger Park’s two lakeside mansions from the early 1900s are among the few remaining structures of their type in Chicago’s Edgewater community,” said Jan Grimes, director of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, which administers the National Register program in Illinois (www.Illinois-History.gov/PS/historicplaces.htm). “We welcome the park’s inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places, the nation’s most prestigious listing of properties with historical significance.”

Berger Park was acquired after the city’s 22 independent park commissions were consolidated into the Chicago Park District in the 1930s. Some of the acreage acquired by the Park District included existing historic structures, such as the two mansions and coach houses in Berger Park. The Joseph Downey House (now known as the Berger Park South Mansion) and its coach house were designed by architect William Carbys Zimmerman and built in 1906. The North Lakeside Cultural Center, originally built in 1910 as the Samuel Gunder House and its coach house, were designed by architect Myron Church. Both two-and-a-half story mansions are excellent examples of the American Four Square style featuring a square floor plan, off-center entrance, hipped roof, central front dormers, and varying secondary details.


We invite you to comment as Edgeville Buzz's GUEST. We review all submissions before they go live on our site. We encourage civil dialogue. Posts must adhere to our comment policy and we reserve the right to delete posts/ban users for instances of inappropriate language, bullying speech, character defamation, spam, etc.