Edgeville Buzz


Be The First To Know

Antique cash register stolen from Simon’s Tavern

Credit: simonstavern.com

Simon’s Tavern has been a fixture on Andersonville’s Clark Street strip since 1934, and as the “No Name Club” speakeasy during prohibition. Speaking of fixtures, Simon’s had an ornate art deco cash register in the bar which reportedly went missing last weekend. The original owner of Simon’s installed the register in order to cash checks on premises, which was a relatively common practice in the years following the stock market crash of 1929. The Brandt cash register dates to 1918, and was not one of the larger ones currently used behind the bar. It was a relic of Simon’s colorful past, however someone recently took it upon themselves to snag it. There was no sign of forced entry to the bar, so Simon’s staff is under the impression that a customer made off with the register while the bar was crowded last weekend. The distinctive register is apparently heavy, and was located in an alcove under the stairs. How someone would be able to conceal it and actually get it out of the bar is something of a mystery. Simon’s staff is obviously hoping the register can be returned to it’s rightful place.


We invite you to comment as Edgeville Buzz's GUEST. We review all submissions before they go live on our site. We encourage civil dialogue. Posts must adhere to our comment policy and we reserve the right to delete posts/ban users for instances of inappropriate language, bullying speech, character defamation, spam, etc.